here i'd like to share my experience on different layouts, hoping it can help you on thinking out of box while facing a difficult one.
case study 03
i received this hand-drawn floor plan a few months ago.
net area: 365 square feet (~34 square meter)
occupant: retired couple
1) the 30 year old daughter will occasionally come and visit the parents
2) NO open kitchen
this is a relatively small apartment for 2-3 people with only one long window. (common size in hk though)
i did two designs.
1) place the master bedroom at the position with best sunlight.
2) i'm not very happy with it because you can only reach the bathroom through kitchen. quite a way to walk at night.
1) separate the kitchen and bathroom completely
2) have the master bedroom at the entrance corner with a wardrobe as a partition to save space and to ensure the storage
3) insert folding glass doors for the kitchen so the area is linked while there's no cooking going on